Frequently Asked Questions about Hope

Frequently Asked Questions
Hope's star logo
What is a waiver?

Medicaid Choice Waivers are one funding source to assist you with service and support needs if you or a family member experiences an intellectual or developmental disability.


What is the Individualized Supports Waiver (ISW)?

This waiver is targeted for both individuals who are currently receiving services from the Community and Developmental Disabilities Grant (CDDG) program and individuals without supports on the Developmental Disabilities Registry and Review (DDRR). For more information, view this ISW Supports and Eligibility document.


How long does it take to get waiver services?

Timelines can vary but there are many ways Hope can provide immediate guidance and assistance while working with you to put more long-term supports in place.


Are grant services available?

There are limited grant services available through Hope, which are funded by the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services, Senior and Disability Services. For more information about the Developmental Disabilities Grant visit


Is my family member eligible for services?

The State of Alaska's website regarding I/DD waiver eligibility is an excellent resource. Visit Alaska Department of Health, Division of Senior and Disabilities Services.

All of Hope's services and supports are personalized. Given the opportunity, Hope will work towards meeting the needs of most people requesting services. The following resources are just a few of the services that can be uniquely designed to support a full life.


What types of services does Hope provide?

We provide services across the state of Alaska to individuals and families who experience intellectual and developmental disabilities, traumatic brain injury, or mental or behavioral health challenge.

Depending on the region, we provide assisted living supports, in-home supports, indedpendent and semi-independent living needs, child and family services, respite, day habilitation, foster care supports, and family habilitation. We also offer mental and behavioral health supports and services for individuals with intensive care needs.

We offer recreational activities, arts and crafts classes, outdoor pursuits, and community gatherings. We have programs tailored to chidlren, teenagers, and adults.

For more information, visit our Statewide Services page.


Can Hope assist with filling out the state’s disability paperwork for my family member?

Our New Services Team provides a wealth of knowledge for families seeking information, resources, support, and services. We understand that people and their families are the true experts in what supports they need, and our team can help connect you with community resources, provide options for care and support, assist with future-planning, and much more. If you need assistance filling out paperwork, our New Services team can direct you to an appropriate local agency depending on the region of Alaska you reside in.

Our New Services Team will be happy to help you in any way they can. Contact them by emailing New Services or calling 907-433-4897.

You can also refer to this Disability Benefits 101 website, which is helpful for anyone navigating disability benefits in Alaska, from health coverage to state benefits to Social Security and more.


My family member who experiences a disability is grown and wants to live elsewhere. Can Hope help?

Hope offers independent, semi-independent and community living environments for adults who experience disabilities, and we'll be happy to help you determine your options and navigate that process.

Visit our Community Living Options page for more information, or contact our New Services Team through email or by calling 907-433-4897.


My family member is experiencing behavioral problems in addition to his/her disability. Can Hope help?

Individuals who experience a developmental disability can experience behavioral challenges, and we are committed to meeting their needs whenever possible. Hope has a behavioral health clinic and Anchorage, and we employ well-trained Behavioral Health Specialists who assist individuals' support teams in identifying and developing appropriate, meaningful and sustainable behavior supports.

Visit our Behavioral Health Supports page for more information.


My family member is experiencing mental health issues in additional to his/her disability. Can Hope help?

Our mental health support team specializes in supporting individuals who are dually diagnosed with a developmental disability and mental health challenge. Services include clinical assessment, individual/group/family therapy, and individual/group skill development activities.

Visit our Mental Health Supports page for more information, or contact our Clinical Director, Paul Ingram, through email or by calling 907-433-1733.


What types of recreation programs does Hope offer?

Hope's Community Engagement Center offers a wide array of recreational and skill-building activities year-round. This includes a dedicated community Art Studio, cooking classes, dance classes, fitness and nutrition classes, photography classes, summer camps, adult programs, afterschool programs for kids and teens, and more,

We offer a range of recreational and educational opportunities for people of all ages and abilities around the state. Visit our Recreational Opportunities Overview page for more information.


How do I become a foster parent?

Thank you for considering becoming a foster parent, and we will be happy to help you navigate the process. We can help you determine if becoming a foster parent or therapeutic foster parent is the right choice for you, and if you choose to go forward with it, we will provide training and guidance for your success. Hope is a Child Placement Agency, so we are also authorized to license homes through the State of Alaska.

Visit our Foster Care and Family Habilitation page for more information, or contact our Foster Care Licensing Specialist, Courtney Wise, through email or by calling 907-433-4864.