Working with an Interpreter



Is it a violation of HIPAA to use a Sign Language Interpreter?

No. According to the US Department of Health and Social Services, 

"A covered health care provider might use interpreter services to communicate with patients who speak a language other than English or who are deaf or hard of hearing, and provision of interpreter services usually will be a health care operations function of the covered entity as defined at 45 CFR 164.501."

Will the Sign Language Interpreter keep my client's information confidential? 

Yes. Sign Language Interpreters certified by the National Association of the Deaf (NAD) or Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) are held by very high standards and abide by a Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct which outline the importance of confidentiality and privacy practices in their profession.

Who pays for the interpreter services?

Any entity which is obligated by law (ADA, Section 504) to provide accommodations for their services must incur the costs associated with such provisions. Such entities can include:


Contact Information:

Hope Community Resources, Inc.
3500 E. 20th Ave. 
Anchorage, AK 99508
Telephone (Voice): 907-433-4778
Videophone: 907-268-4416
Fax: 907-272-8807
Deaf Navigator is a program run by Hope Community Resources, funded
via a grant provided by the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services